Sunday, March 27, 2011

Excalibur Food Dehydrator


Sheila here from the class, I have been doing a lot of research on dehydration of food, as this is the process I think I am going to lean to as my primary preservation of food. Because of the time it takes to can and the space needed to store and the shelf life of can food dehydration works best for me and my family.

I am going with a square style Excalibur 3900 from Excalibur. The reason I selected this dehydrator is; 9 drying trays, the trays are 15" x 15" providing 15' square feet of drying surface, the motor is attached to the back and not on the bottom so food can not drip into the motor area like the round dehydrators, I can leave a tray out above a tray if I have larger pieces with the round style you can not do that you have to stack the next tray, I also like the larger motor and automatic timer, and the 5-10 year warranty depending on the style. I have purchased two and can't wait to get started.

They also have a 5 and 4 tray style the price range is $120.00 to $250.00.

On the Excalibur website there are videos you can watch. (I recommend watching them) these videos are what helped me decide on the main method of food preservation. I have also purchased the food sealer, and Mylar bags for long term food storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment