Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Dehydrating Potatoes
by Sheila

 Post and Pictures by Sheila

To keep your potatoes from turning black you need to cook them first all the way through. After boiling both batches of potatoes I processed them two different ways.

The first batch I peeled and boiled just like if I were making mash potatoes. I then pureed them through my food mill and spread them on the tray and dehydrated until brittle. I then took the brittle potatoes and placed them in the food processor until ground. To rehydrate I added boiling milk/water and placed in the microwaved for 6 minutes or so. I added salt, pepper and sour cream. They turned out creamy and tasted just like regular mash potatoes.

The second batch I let cool to room temperature then peeled them, then sliced the potatoes not to thick but not to thin and placed them on the tray until they were brittle and translucent. It took longer than I thought it would to rehydrate. I had to re-boil them in water for about 20-30 minutes. but they tasted and looked just like regular potatoes.

I also dehydrated frozen hash-browns. I just placed them on the tray until they were brittle. I re-hydrated them with boiling water for about 5 minutes, drained off the remaining water and fried them up just like regular hash-browns. They tasted great...

No comments:

Post a Comment