Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dehydrating Vegetables
by Sheila

Post and Pictures by Sheila

I hope all you Master Food Preservers are having as much fun as I have been having. Above you can see what I have been preserving since our class ended.

After deciding what foods I wanted to start to preserve I made a trip to Sams Club to buy some vegetables. I started with frozen vegetables and some frozen fruit.

The first vegetables I dehydrated was frozen corn, It was very easy, all I had to do was just open the bag and spread the corn on the tray place in the dehydrator set the temperature and timer and wait. I started with 3, 5 pound bags. 

You can see after the 15 pounds of corn has dehydrated it all fit into one bowl. I stored some of the corn (and all other food dehydrated) in a quart mason jar with a 100cc oxygen packet to remove the air and seal the jar for freshness. The remaining food I dehydrated have been vacuumed packed and sealed in Mylar bags for long term storage.

I also dehydrated frozen broccoli and cauliflower. I just placed them on the tray and placed the tray over the sink and ran cold water over the vegetables to defrost a bit so I could cut the pieces that were to big so they would fit in the dehydrator.

Also you can see the frozen whole green beans and mixed vegetables.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment